Kellys Directory for Woburn Sands 1931

Woburn Sands is a parish on the road from Dunstable to Newport Pagnell. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1867, and comprises the civil parish of Aspley Heath and part of the parish of Aspley Guise. By Local Government Board Order, dated 27th December, 1906, that part of Wavendon formerly in this parish was detached from it. The old name for this place was Hogsty End. The parish is in the Buckingham division of the county, Woburn petty sessional division, Newport Pagnell union, Leighton Buzzard county court district, rural deanery of Fleete, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of St. Albans. The village has a station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, 12 miles south-west from Bedford, 4 east from Bletchley, 2½ north-west from Woburn and 50 from London; it is 44 miles from London by road. Water and sewage works at Aspley Guise were opened on June 8th, 1911, by the Duke of Bedford K. G., K. B. E. The new reservoir at Bow Brickhill Heath will hold 380,000 gallons of water. The church of St. Michael, at Aspley Heath, erected in 1868 from designs by Mr. Henry Clutton, architect, is an edifice in the French Gothic style, and originally consisted of nave of five bays and a small circular western bell turret: in 1889 it was enlarged from designs by Sir Arthur Blomfield A. R. A., F. S. A. at a cost of £2,400, when the chancel was added and transept and organ chambers and vestries built on the north side: by the addition of a screen the north transept was converted in 1920 into a memorial chapel, where there is a brass to those who fell in the Great War: an oak pulpit with stone, base has been presented by Mr. and Mrs. Stuart in memory of four of their children, and an oak lectern by Miss F. A. Stuart in memory of Mrs. Nicholson: the stained east window was erected in 1889 as a memorial to Mr. W. H. Denison, for 21 years churchwarden, and there is another memorial window to Maud F. Stuart: the reredos, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield A. R. A. was erected in 1896 as a memorial to Misses C. and E. Pain: the church affords 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £223, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St. Albans and held since 1913 by the Rev. John Shelton, of Lichfield Theological College. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels and a Friends' meeting  house. The Village Institute, built in 1874, stands near the centre of the parish  and is used for concerts and other village purposes. Six almshouses were erected by the late Frederick W. Down in 1902 for aged people of the parish. The Daneswood Jewish Sanatorium for Consumptives was opened on June 25th, 1903, and is pleasantly situated in the parish of Aspley Heath. The parish is particularly salubrious, being situated on the lower greensand formation, which here is a reddish-brown sand, and partly covered by pine woods. The area is 1,400 acres, including 600 acres for Aspley Heath; about 450 acres is woodland; the population in 1921 was 1,131 in the civil parish and 1,857 in the ecclesiastical parish, which extends into Bedfordshire.


Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office, Woburn Sands.

Letters through Bletchley, Bucks

Railway Station -

Carrier. - William Linger, to Bedford, wed. & sat.; to Newport Pagnell, tues


Private Residents. (For TN's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Harold Gwynne Allen, The Dene
Francis George Atkinson, Heatherlea
Andrew Austin, Claremont
Barnes, Mrs., M. B., The Shrubbery
Warren A Barnes, M. B., The Shrubbery
Barnwell, Mrs., Athenry

William Henry Bazley, Ashfield
Bond, Miss, 1 The Terrace
Thomas Bowler, Station Road
John Felgate Brewster, The Briars
T. H. Brill, Station Road
John D. Britten, Eastholme
Walter G. Broughton, Gracedieu
Burney, Miss., Eton Lodge
Henry Chapman, Haddon house, Hardwick Road
Chippindall, Mrs., The Terrace
Kevin Clark, Mrs., Hardwick Road
John Cooper, Haydon House
Engineering-Captain Frank Lionel Crook, Royal Navy (retired), Lydbrook
Frederick William Deeley, Pine View
Walter H. Dibbs, Links View
Evans, Miss., M. R. C. S., L. R. C. P., Oakley, Station Road
Lieutenant-Colonel Moreland Stanhope Eyre, D. S. O. Sandymount, Station Road  
Featherstonhaugh, Mrs., Prospect Villa
Henry Edward Grace, Ash Villa, Wood Street
Griggs, Mrs. Enstone, Station Road
Hardy Albert, St. Deny's
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes, M.D., J.P., Brookside  
Frederick Thomas Howard, The Cedars
Howe, Misses, Aspley Villa
Frederick Kempsell, Elm Lodge, Station Road
Linnell, Misses, Woodford
Cedric D. Loveless, Lynwood
Ernest Marchant, Lyncroft, Hardwick Road
Moore, Miss, Clifton Villa
Charles Mould, Sarum
Mowbray, Misses, Hardwick House
Murray, Misses, The Cottage, Aspley Hill
Needham, Mrs., Holly Lodge
Pain, Miss, Woodlands
Sydney H. Rowlands, Avenue Lodge, Station Road
Rev. John Shelton (vicar), Vicarage
Ernest David Sykes, Hillside
William B. Toogood, J. P., Merton House
Rev. A. Trusswell (Wesleyan), Epworth Villa
Tuck, Miss, North Holt
Richard Cecil Wilton, Stourhead Lodge
Wingrave, Miss, Hardwick Road
J. C. Wiseman Mrs., 3 The Terrace
George Wonham, Ashleigh

Commercial - Early closing day, Wednesday.
Adams, Miss, hairdresser, Rushmere
Arthur J. Anderson, photographer, Station Road TN 111
Clive Ansell, draper, High Street
Frederick Ashby, baker, Weathercock Lane
Aspley Guise & Woburn Sands Golf Club Ltd. (The) (Horace W. Page, secretary)
Frederick Charles Baker, dairyman, Station Road
Barclays Bank Ltd. (branch) (open daily 10a.m. to 3p.m.; sat. 9a.m. to 12noon) (H.  H. Theobald, manager) (TN 70); head office, 54 Lombard Street, London E C 3
Helen Barnes, M. B., B. Ch. London (firm, Thompson, Alexander & Barnes), physician & surgeon, The Shrubbery. TN 2
Warren A. Barnes, M. B., B. Ch. Camb., M. R. C. S. Eng., L. R. C. P. London (firm, Thompson, Alexander & Barnes), physician & surgeon, medical officer & public vaccinator No. 8 district, North Bucks Area Guardians Committee, The Shrubbery. TN 2
John Barton, coal merchant
Ernest Frank Bathurst, M. P. S., pharmaceutical chemist, High Street
Blanshard & Harrison, motor engineers, Station Road. TN 53
William Henry Bliss, coal merchant, Railway station
Joseph Thomas Burley, Greengrocer, High Street
Charles Byers, tobacconist, High Street
William Charles Bvway, picture frame maker
Tom Aubrey Chester, horse dealer, Horsegrove. TN 7
Chibnall, Mrs. upholstress, Aspley Road
D. Clarke, carbolized wheat protector (Henry Bazley, proprietor)
Agnes Mary Coleman (Miss), confectioner
Collins Alice (Miss), news agent

Sarah E. Collins (Miss), shopkeeper, 4 The Leys
Phyllis Cooper (Miss), ladies' & children's hairdresser; permanent waving, setting, manicure & facial massage, Station Road. TN Woburn Sands 75
Sidney Crawley, butcher, High Street
Walter George Day, tailor, Chapel Street
Ellen Dover (Mrs.), fancy repository
Dudeney & Johnston Ltd. Grocers. TN 33
C. Dudley & Sons, roofing tile manufacturers, Station Road TN 32
Albert Dunkley, grocer
Eastmans Ltd. butchers
William Henry Elliott, grocer
Thomas Emms, watch & clock maker
Evans, Miss, M. R. C. S., L. R. C. P. Oakley, Station Road TN 99
Arthur Farmer & Sons, firewood dealers
C. Featherstonhaugh. (K. W. Griggs, proprietor), waterproof covers of all descriptions; ropes, lines, twines; car hoods & side curtains, sacks &c. Station road. TN 37
Fir Tree Hotel (Harold Clements, proprietor) TN 127
Wallace Arthur Foll, F. A. I., P. A. S. I., auctioneer, estate agent, chartered surveyor & valuer  (Telegrams, "Foll"); at Bletchley. Telephone No. 9
Charles Franklin, coal merchant, Station Road
John Gardner, boot & shoe maker, Aspley Hill
Alexander Ronald Gibb, L. D. S. R. C. S. Edinburgh, dental surgeon. Field View, Station Road
Thomas George Giles, shopkeeper, Chapel Street
Thomas Hollworth, boot maker, Vicarage Street
Brian Wells Hanson, nurseryman, Station Road. TN 158
Albert Hardy, beer retailer, High Street
Charles Hargreaves, sawing mills, Station Road
Sydney Harrison, motor engineer. See Blanshard & Harrison
David Henman, decorator, Wood Street
Arthur Hinde, Station Hotel, Station Road. TN 36
Alfred John Holmes, stationer, Post office, High Street
Herbert Hooper, draper, High Street
Hudson & Son, builders, Aspley Heath
Cyril Hutton, builder, contractor, plumber & decorator, Chapel Street. TN 35
Thomas Jackson, market gardener
William Kent, builder, Aspley Hill. TN 60
Albert Henry Kilpin, fruiterer & greengrocer, Hardwick Road
Alfred Herbert Kingham, shopkeeper, Station Road
Last & Son, motor body builders, Russell Street. TN 44
Leigh-Lancaster Leslie, boot maker
Lewis & Co. (F. W. Deeley, proprietor), pastrycooks, Russell Street
G. K. Lynn (K. W. Griggs & G. T. Richards), merchants, Station Road. TN 87
James McMurtie, house furnisher. TN 39
Ernest W. Merchant, solicitor & commissioner for oaths, Lyncroft, Hardwick Road
Markwell & Son, grocers. High Street
Edwin Martin, Weathercock Public House
G. S. Mepstend & Son, cycle agents Station Road. TN 25
Henrietta K. Millard (Miss), nurse, 12 Chapel Street
John Wilson Mitchelmore, confectioner, High Street
Leonard Moxley, shopkeeper, Station Road
National Deposit Friendly Society (W. H. Beavis, secretary)
Alwyn Francis Pacey, painter & decorator, Chapel Street TN 136
Horace Bernard Partridge, baker
Herbert Payne, blacksmith, Station Road
Bertha Peacock (Miss), milliner
Fred Pikesley, motor engineer, High Street. TN 52

Pikesleys Garage. Still in use today.

Pleasent & Summerford, drapers. High Street
George W. Pleasant outfitter, High Street
George E. Popple, ironmonger
Ernest William Pratt, insurance agent, Theydon Avenue
John Walter Pratt, butcher
J. Rice & Son, motor engineers. TN 13
Alice Richardson (Mrs.), shopkeeper, The Square
George Sanders, boot repairer, Russell Street
Elizabeth Skinner (Mrs.), shopkeeper, The Leys
W. H. Smith & Son Ltd. newsagents. TN 91
Edgar Smith, funeral furnisher, Hardwick Road. TN 112
Joseph Francis Smith, plumber, gas & hot water fitter &c. Russell Street
Edgar Charles Squires, tailor, Station Road
Ernest Cookson Stockton, draper, High Street
Christine Summerford (Miss), draper, see Pleasant & Summerford
Swan Hotel (Henry C. H. Sanders, proprietor), High Street. TN 4 
George Tansley (A. E. & T. G. Tansley, proprietors), glass & china dealer
Thompson, Alexander & Barnes, physicians & surgeons. The Shrubbery. TN 2

Thomas Tompkins, corn, coal, seed & forage merchant, Railway station & at Woburn & Railway station, Ridgmont

Main junction in Woburn Sands
The Square, Woburn Sands

Annie Tull (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Reginald Frank Vassie, refreshment rooms, High Street
Charles Wagstaff, boot & shoe maker & dealer, High Street
George Wesley, hair dresser, High Street
Westminster Bank Ltd. (branch) (open daily 10a.m. to 3p.m.; & sat. 9 to 12a.m.) (H. P. Gibberd, manager) (TN 138); head office, 41 Lothbury, London E C 2
Annie Elizabeth Whitbread (Mrs.) tobacconist, Station Road
White Brothers, greengrocers
Thomas Henry White, insurance agent, 2 The Leys
Charles S. Whitmee, dairyman, Wood Street
Whitmee, Mrs., music teacher, Wood Street
George Henry Whittleton, grocer, Aspley Hill
Charles Willmott, golf professional, The Leys
Woburn Sands Allotment Society Ltd. (Harry Pakes, secretary), Theydon Avenue
Woburn Sands Permanent Benefit Building Society (G. H. Taylor, secretary)
Woburn Sands Social Club Ltd. (J. McMurtrie, honourary secretary)
Woburn Sands Village Institute (F. P. Chapman, secretary)
Lily Marjory Wodhams (Miss) L. L. C. M. teacher of music, Trelawn
Joseph Wooding, fishmonger. High Street TN 68
T. Draper Wren, L. D. S. R. C. S. Eng., dentist, Brookfield, Station Road
William C. Wynn, chemist, The Square