Kellys Directory for Woburn Sands 1935

Woburn Sands is a parish on the road from Dunstable to Newport Pagnell, The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1867, and comprises the civil parish of Aspley Heath and part of the parish of Aspley Guise. By Local Government Board Order, dated 27th December, 1906, that part of Wavendon formerly in this parish was detached from it. The old name for this place was Hogsty End. The parish is in the Buckingham division of the county, Bletchley petty sessional division, Newport Pagnell rural district, Bletchley and Leighton Buzzard county court district, rural deanery of Fleete, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of St.Albans. The village has a station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, 12 miles south-west from Bedford, 4 east from Bletchley, 2½ north-west from Woburn and 50 from London; it is 44 miles from London by road. Water and sewage works at Aspley Guise were opened on June 8th, 1911, by the Duke of Bedford K. G., K. B. E. The reservoir at Bow Brickhill Heath will hold 380,000 gallons of water. The church of St. Michael, at Aspley Heath, erected in 1868 from designs by Mr. Henry Clutton, architect, is an edifice in the French Gothic style, and originally consisted of nave of five bays and a small circular western bell turret: in 1889, it was enlarged from designs by Sir Arthur Blomfield A. R. A., F. S. A. at a cost of £2,400, when the chancel was added and transept and organ chambers and vestries built on the north side: by the addition of a screen the north transept was converted in 1920 into a memorial chapel, where there is a brass to those who fell in the Great War: an oak pulpit with stone, base has been presented by Mr. and Mrs. Stuart in memory of four of their children, and an oak lectern by Miss F. A. Stuart in memory of Mrs. Nicholson: the stained east window was erected in 1889 as a memorial to Mr. W. H. Denison, for 21 years churchwarden, and there is another memorial window to Maud F. Stuart: the reredos, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield A. R. A. was erected in 1896 as a memorial to Misses C. and E. Pain: the church affords 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £351, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St. Albans and held since 1913 by the Rev. John Shelton, of Lichfield Theological College. There is a Roman Catholic Church, erected in 1922. There are Methodist churches and a Friends' meeting house. The Institute, built in 1874, stands near the centre of the parish and is used for concerts and other village purposes. A memorial hall was erected in 1928 by the late A. W. Pettit esq, in memory of his wife, Ellen Pettit. The Daneswood Jewish Sanatorium for Consumptives was opened on June 25th, 1903, and is pleasantly situated in the parish of Aspley Heath. The parish is particularly salubrious, being situated on the lower greensand formation, which here is a reddish-brown sand, and partly covered by pine woods. The ownership of the land is divided. The area is 360 acres; the population in 1931 was 1,156 in the civil parish and 1,785 in the ecclesiastical parish, which extends into Bedfordshire.

Post, M. O., T. & T. K. D. Office, Woburn

Letters through Bletchley, Bucks Railway Station

Carriers.- William  Linger to Bedford, wed. & sat: to Newport Pagnell, tues.; Alfred John White, Bedford, wed. & sat. via Cranfield

Conveyance. - Eastern National Omnibus Co, Ltd. Bedford via Leighton Buzzard


Private Residents - (For TN's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
John Neville Alexander, The Shrubbery
Andrew Austin, Claremont, Station Road

Rev. Cyril N. Manham (Roman Catholic), Wood Street
Barnwell, Mrs., Athenry
William Henry Bazley, Ashfield

Bond, Miss, 1 The Terrace
Thomas Bowler, Station Road
John Felgate Brewster, The Briars
Britten, Mrs., Eastholme, Station Road
Broughton, Miss, Gracedieu
Henry Chapman, Haddon House, Hardwick Road 
John Cooper, Haydon House
Walter H. Dibb, Links View
Evans, Miss, M. R. C. S., L. R. C. P. Oakley, Station Road
Featherstonhaugh Mrs., Station Road
Griggs, Mrs., Enstone, Station Road
Albert Hardy, St. Deny's
Sydney Charles Hebard, Wroxhill, Station Road
Thomas Daniel Hill Holmes, M. D., J. P. Brookside, Theydon Avenue
Frederick Thomas Howard, The Cedars
Howe, Misses, Aspley Villa
William Charles Kemp, Newport Road
Kempsell, Misses, Elm Lodge, Station Road
Linnell, Misses, Woodford, Station Road
Cedric D. Loveless, Lynwood, Station Road

Ernest Marchant, Lyncroft, Hardwick Road
Moreton, Misses, Langley, Weathercock Lane
Frederick Thomas Mountford, Heatherlea, Hardwick Road
Mowbray, Misses, Hardwick House
Murray, Misses, The Cottage, Aspley Hill
Kevin Needham, Mrs., Hardwick Road
Pain, Miss, Woodlands, Aspley Hill
Aylmer Quin, F. R. D. , Holly Lodge, Weathercock Lane
Walter C. Robinson Buena Vista, Ridge Way
Ryan, Mrs., Hardwick Road
Scrivner, Mrs., Avenue Lodge, Station Road
Rev. John Shelton (vicar), Vicarage
Ernest David Sykes, Hillside
William B. Toogood, J. P., Merton House
Rev. Walter Trevor (Methodist), Epworth Villa

Tuck, Miss, North Holt
Edwin Whittaker, Oaklands, Newport Road
Richard Cecil Wilton, Stourhead Lodge
George Wonham, Ashleigh, Station Road

Commercial - Early closing day, Wednesday
Adams, Miss., ladies' hairdresser, Rushmere, Theydon Avenue

John Seville Alexander, M. R. C. S. Eng., L. R. C. P. Lond. physician & surgeon & medical officer & public vacinator No. 8 district North Bucks Area Guardians Committee, The Shrubbery
Arthur J. Anderson, photographer, Station Road TN 111
Olive Ansell (Miss), draper, High Street
E. J. & R. S. Ashby, F. A. I.,  House agents, High Street TN 27
Frederick Ashby, baker, Weathercock Lane
Francis Charles Atkinson, electrical engineer, Aspley Hill TN 66
Barclays Bank Ltd. (branch) (open daily 10a.m. to 5p.m.: sat. 9a.m to 12 noon) (H. H. Theobald, manager) (TN 70): head office, 54 Lombard Street, London E C 3
John Barton, coal merchant

Ernest Frank Bathurst, pharmaceutical chemist, High Street TN 43
Blanshard & Harrison, motor engineers, Station Road TN 53

Leslie Harold Blanshard, motor engineer, see Blanshard & Harrison
William Henry Bliss, coal merchant, Railway station
C. S. Bryan & Co. accountants (attend fri.10a.m. to 4p.m.) High Street
Joseph Thomas Barley, greengrocer, High Street
William Charles Byway, picture frame maker, Aspley Hill
Tom Aubrey Chester, horse dealer, Horsegrove. TN 7
Louisa Chibnall (Mrs.), upholstress, Weathercock Lane
D. Clarke (William Henry Bazley, proprietor) carbolized wheat protector 
Agnes Coleman Mary (Miss), confectioner
Sarah E. Collins (Miss), shopkeeper, 4 The Leys

Phyllis Cooper (Miss) ladies hairdresser, Station Road TN 75
Mabel G. Cosens (Miss), chiropodist, The Square
Sidney Crawlev, butcher, High Street
Harold Arthur Denton, dairyman, Aspley Hill
Ellen Dovey (Mrs.), fancy repository
Frederick W. Down, (W. C. Hill, proprietor) wheat dressing works, Weathercock Lane
Dudeney & Johnston Ltd., grocers TN 33

C. Dudley & Sons, roofing tile makers, Station Road TN 32
Albert Dunkley, grocer, High Street TN 38
Eastmans Ltd., butchers, High Street
William Henry Elliott, grocer, High Street
Thomas William Emmerton, shopkeeper
Thomas Emms & Sons, watch & clock makers, High Street
Evans & Fletcher, dentists (attends mon. wed. & fri.), High Street TN 157
Nora Elizabeth Evans (Mrs.) refreshment rooms, High Street
Sarah Evans (Miss) M. R. C. S., L. R. C. P., physician & surgeon, Oakley, Station Road TN 99
Arthur Farmer & Sons, firewood dealers. TN 206
C. Featherstonhaugh (K. W. Griggs, proprietor), waterproof covers of all descriptions; ropes, lines, twines; car hoods & side curtains, sacks &c. Station road. T N 37
R. Felce (Mrs.), M. I. S. Ch., chiropodist (attends thurs. 10a.m. to 5p.m.) High Street
Fir Tree Hotel (Harold Clements, proprietor) TN 127
Wallace Arthur Foll, F. S. I., F. A. I, auctioneer, estate agent, chartered surveyor & valuer (Telegrams, “Foll” Telephone 9) & at Bletchley TN 43
Charles Franklin, coal merchant, Station Road
John Gardner, boot & shoe maker, Aspley Hill
Alexander Ronald Gibb, L. D. S. E. C. S. Edinburgh, dental surgeon, Field View, Station Road
Thomas Hallworth, boot maker, High Street
Brian Wells Hanson, nurseryman, Station Road TN 158
Albert Hardy, beer retailer, High Street TN 96
Charles Hargreaves, sawing mills, Station Road TN 134
Sydney Harrison, motor engineer, see Blanshard & Harrison
Arthur Hinde, Station Hotel, Station Road TN 35
Alfred John Holmes, stationery, Post office, High Street 
Herbert Hooper, draper, High Street
Angela Mary Howlett (Miss), ladies' hairdresser, The Square
Cyril Hutton, builder, Hardwick Place & High Street TN 35

Huttons Builders, commemorated in "Hutton Way"

T. Jackson & Sons, market gardeners
Cyrus Charles James, poultry farmer, Golf View, Ridge Way
William Henry Johnson, shopkeeper, Station Road
William Kent, builder, Aspley Hill TN 60
Albert Henry Kilpin, fruiterer & greengrocer, Hardwick Road

Alfred Herbert Kingham, shopkeeper, Station Road
Last & Son, motor body builders, Russell Street TN 44
Leslie Leigh-Lancaster, motor coach proprietor TN 147
Lewis & Co.  (A. T. & F. E. Morris proprietor) pastrycooks, Russell Street
Eric Harry Lovell, insurance agent, High Street 
G. K. Lynn (E. W. Grjggs & G. T. Richards) Merchants, Station Road TN 37
James McMurtie, house furnisher TN 39
Ernest W. Marchant, solicitor & commissioner for oaths, Lyncroft, Hardwick Road TN 97
Markwell & Son, grocers, High Street
Martin Edwin, Weathercock Public House

G. S. Mepstead & Son, cycle agents, Station Road TN 25
Henrietta K. Millard (Miss), nurse, 19 Chapel Street
Arthur Mogford, nurseryman, Hill Way nurseries
National Deposit Friendly Society (S. R. Collins, secretary)
Northampton Electric Light & Power Co. Ltd
Alwyn Francis Pacey, painter & decorator, Chapel Street
Arthur Walter Parker, clerk to the Parish Council
Horace Bernard Partridge, baker
Herbert Payne, blacksmith, Station Road
Fred Pikesley, motor engineer, High Street TN 52
Pleasent & Summerford, drapers, High Street
George W. Pleasant outfitter, High Street
George E. Popple, ironmonger, High Street
John Walter Pratt, butcher, Aspley Hill
William H. Preston, newsagent, High Street
J. Rice & Son, motor engineers, Hardwick Road TN 13
Alice Richardson (Mrs.), shopkeeper, The Square

George Sanders, boot repairer, Russell Street
Alfred Henry Sandiford & Son, window cleaners, Ivanhoe, Newport Road
Elizabeth Skinner (Mrs.) shopkeeper, The Leys
W. H. Smith & Son Ltd., newsagents, High Street TN 91
Edgar G. Smith, funeral furnisher, Hardwick Road TN 112
Joseph Francis Smith, plumber, gas & hot water fitter &c, Russell Street
Joseph William Smith, house furnisher, High Street TN 80
Edgar Charles Squires, tailor, Station Road
Christine Summerford (Miss), draper, see Pleasant & Summerford
Swan Hotel (Henry. C. H. Sanders, proprietor) High Street TN 4

A view of the entrance to the High Street, Woburn Sands

Aubrey Reginald Tansley, Motor garage, Station Road
George Tansley (Miss T. G. Tansley, proprietress), glass & china dealer
Arthur Tanton, confectioner, High Street
Thomas Tompkins, corn merchant, Railway station
Charles Wagstaff, footwear specialist, High Street
T. & G. Wesley, hairdressers, High Street TN 77
Westminster Bank Ltd. (branch) (open daily 10a.m. to 3p.m.; sat. 9 to 12a.m.) (H. P. Gibberd, manager) (T K 138) head office, 41 Lothbury, London E C 2
Annie Elizabeth Whitbread (Mrs.), tobacconist, Station Road
White Brothers, greengrocers, High Street TN 122
Thomas Henry White, insurance agent, The Leys
Charles S. Whitmee & Son, dairyman, Wood Street
Whitmee, Mrs., music teacher, Wood Street
George Henry Whittleton, grocer, Aspley Hill
Charles Willmott, Golf professional, Stanway House, Wood Street
Woburn Sands Allotment Society Ltd. (Harry Pakes, secretary), 6 Theydon Avenue
Woburn Sands Bowling Club (H. Pakes, secretary), Swan Hotel
Woburn Sands Institute (E. F. Bathurst, secretary)
Woburn Sands Permanent Benefit Building Society (G. H. Taylor, secretary)
Woburn Sands Social Bowling Club (F. F. Bathurst, secretary)
Woburn Sands Social Club Ltd. (J. McMurtrie, honourary secretary)
Wodhams Lily Marjory (Miss) L. L. C. M. teacher of music, Trelawn
Women's Institute (Mrs. E. G. Smith, secretary)
E. Wooding & Sons, fishmongers, High Street TN 68
William C. Wynn, wireless dealer, High Street TN 202
Arthur Leonard Yost, dairyman, Station Road