Kellys Directory for Aspley Heath 1936

Aspley Heath is a civil parish, formed by Local Government Board Order 15,338, dated 24 June, 1883. By Order 18,187, dated March 25, 1885, part of Wavendon, in Bucks, was added to it. The parish is in the Mid division of the county, Woburn petty sessional division, Bletchley and Leighton Buzzard county court district and Ampthill rural district. It forms part of the Woburn Sands ecclesiastical parish. The church of St. Michael, erected in 1868 from designs by Mr. Henry Clutton, architect, is an edifice in the French Gothic style, and originally consisted of nave of five bays and a small circular western bell turret: in 1889 it was enlarged from designs by Sir Arthur Blomfield A. R. A., F. S. A. at a cost of £2,400, when the chancel was added and transept and organ chambers and vestries built on the north side: by the addition of a screen the north transept was converted in 1920 into a memorial chapel, where there is a brass to those who fell in the Great War: an oak pulpit with stone base has been presented by Mr. and Mrs. Stuart in memory of four of their children, and an oak lectern by Miss F. A. Stuart in memory of Mrs. Nicholson: the stained east window was erected in 1889 as a memorial to Mr. W. H. Denison, for 21 years churchwarden, and there is another memorial window to Maud F. Stuart: the reredos, designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield A. R. A. was erected in 1896 as a memorial to Misses C. and E. Pain: the church affords 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £351, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St. Albans, and held since 1913 by the Rev. John Shelton, of Lichfield Theological College, who resides at Woburn Sands (Bucks).The Duke of Bedford K .G., K .B .E. is the principal landowner. The area is 600 acres; the population in 1931 was 499.


Private Residents For TN's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.
Barrett, Misses, Orchard Cottage

E. H. Brown, Miss Foresthurst
James Brown, Mrs., Southwood
Engineering Captain Frank L. Crook, Royal Navy (retired), The Bungalow
Samuel Ernest Flower, Little Close
Griffith, Mrs., Dormer Cottage
Howard William Hammond, Ivy Dene
Robert Rymer Hinge, Fairview
Colonel Sidney Kershaw, Hardinge, Alderman's Place
N. L. Stuart King, The Knoll

The parish church, Woburn Sands
St. Michaels, Aspley Heath

Harold G. Leigh-Bennett, The Garden House
Little, Mrs., Mocambo
Malcolmson, Mrs., Haverfield
John Gawler Mills, Aspley Heath House
Horace W. Page, Silverbirch
Herbert Arthur Peto, Glenside
Robinson, Mrs., St. Michael's
Harry Seabrook 
Sharman, Miss, Southwood
John Charnock Smith, J. P., Pine Cottage
Samuel James Smith, Firdale
Frank Sutton, Old Dairy
Farrer Thompson, Mrs., Heath
E. A. Todd, Mrs., The Limes
George Barnard West, Woodlands
Frederick William Westerway, Glyndon
Wragg, Miss, The Mount
John Arthur Zair, M. A., The Knoll

Commercial
Bedford County Hospital Convalescent Home (B. Wadmore, secretary.; Miss M. G. Williams, sister in charge), Homewood. Woburn Sands 51
Frederick Clarke, gardener to Bedford County Hospital Convalescent Home, Homewood Cottage
John Cowell, beer retailer
Daneswood Jewish Sanatorium for Consumptives  (Miss Hilda Schlesinger, honourary secretary; Miss Dora M. Brooksbank S. R. N. matron) TN Woburn Sands 11

Daneswood is now private flats
Daneswood Jewish Sanatorium for Consumptives.

Edgbury Convalescent Home (Middlesex County Council) (Miss M. Bishop, matron) TN Woburn Sands 131
Henry Hobbs, gardener to J. G. Mills esq., Holly Cottage
A. Hudson & Sons, builders, Woburn Sands 54
Knoll Preparatory School for Boys (John Arthur Zair, M. A. & N. L. Stuart King, proprietors), The Knoll
William Linger, grocer & carrier