Kellys Directory for Woburn Sands 1939

Woburn Sands is a pariah on the road from Dunstable to Newport Pagnell. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1867, and comprises the civil parish of Aspley Heath and part of the parish of Aspley Guise. By Local Government Board Order, dated 27th December, 1906, that part of Wavendon formerly in this parish was detached from it. The old name for this place was Hogsty End. The parish is in the Buckingham division of the county, Bletchley petty sessional division, Newport Pagnell rural district, Bletchley and Leighton Buzzard county court district, rural deanery of Fleete, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of St. Albans. The village has a station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, 12 miles south-west from Bedford, 4 east from Bletchley, 2½ north-west from Woburn and 50 from London; it is 44 miles from London by road. Gas and electricity are available. Water is supplied by the Aspley Guise, Aspley Heath and Woburn Sands Drainage and Water Supply Joint Committee. Water and sewage works at Aspley Guise were opened on June 8th, 1911, by the Duke of Bedford K. G., K. B. E. The reservoir at Bow Brickhill Heath will hold 380,000 gallons of water. The church of St. Michael, at Aspley Heath, erected in 1868, is an edifice in the French Gothic style, and originally consisted of nave of five bays and a small circular western bell turret: in 1889 it was enlarged, when the chancel was added and transept and organ chambers and vestries built on the north side: by the addition of a screen the north transept was converted in 1920 into a memorial chapel, where there is a brass to those who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: an oak pulpit with stone base was presented by Mr. and Mrs. Stuart in memory of four of their children, and an oak lectern by Miss F. A. Stuart in memory of Mrs. Nicholson: the stained east window was erected in 1889 as a memorial to Mr. W. H. Denison, for 21 years churchwarden, and there is another memorial window to Maud F. Stuart: the reredos was erected in 1896 as a memorial to Misses C. & E. Pain: the church affords 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £331, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Street Albans, and held since 1913 by the Rev. John Shelton, of Lichfield Theological College. There is a Roman Catholic church, erected in 1922. There are Methodist churches and a Friends' meeting house. The Institute, built in 1874, stands near the centre of the parish and is used for concerts and other village purposes. A memorial hall was erected in 1928 by the late A. W. Pettit esq. in memory of his wife Ellen Pettit. The Daneswood Jewish Sanatorium for Consumptives was opened on June 25th, 1903, and is pleasantly situated in the parish of Aspley Heath. The parish is particularly salubrious, being situated on the lower greensand formation, which here is a reddish-brown sand, and partly covered by pine woods. The ownership of the land is divided. The area is 360 acres; the population in 1931 was 1,156 in the civil parish and 1,785 in the ecclesiastical parish, which extends into Bedfordshire.

Post, M. O. & T. Office, Woburn Sands. Letters through Bletchley Railway Station

Carrier.- William Linger, to Bedford, wed. & sat.; to Newport Pagnell, tues

Conveyance.- Eastern National Omnibus Co. Ltd. to Bedford via Leighton Buzzard


Private Residents - (For TN's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
William H. Bazley, 15 Bow Brickhill Road

Bond, Miss, 6 Station Road
Brewster, Mrs., 21 Bow Brickhill Road
Britten, Mrs., 60 Station Road
Page Chapman Farrell, Theydon Lodge, Theydon Avenue
John Cooper, 29 Station Road 
Sarah Evans, Miss, M. R. C. S., L. R. C. P., 18 Station Road
Featherstonhaugh, Mrs., 16 Station Road
Brian Furber, Station Road
Rev. Edmund J. Golston (Roman Catholic), 40 Wood Street

Albert Hardy, 5 Station Road
Hebard, Mrs., 4 Station Road
Howe, Misses, Aspley Villa, Bow Brickhill Road
William Charles Kemp, 39 Newport Road
Frederick William Lawrence, 25 Station Road
Linnell, Misses, 34 Station Road
Little, Mrs., 3 Hardwick Road
Cedric Douglas Loveless, 2 Station Road
Ernest William Marchant, 3 Hardwick Road
Rev. Josiah J. Mee, B. Litt., (Methodist), Epworth Villa, High Street
Mowbray, Misses, Hardwick House, Hardwick Road
B. M. Murray, 19 Station Road
Murray, Misses, The Cottage, Aspley Hill
Pain, Miss, Woodlands, Aspley Hill
Paul Marwood, 35 Newport Road
Aylmer Quin, F. R. D. , Holly Lodge, Weathercock Lane
Ryan, Mrs., Hardwick Road
Scrivener, Mrs., 38 Station Road
Rev. John Shelton (vicar), Vicarage
Shepherd, Misses, Hardwick Road
John Percival Dewing Spurgin, 31 Station Road
C. B. Stephens, Barclays Bank House, High Street
Ernest David Sykes, 36 Station Road
William B. Toogood, J. P., Merton House, Weathercock Lane
Edwin Whitaker, 37 Newport Road
Richard Cecil Wilton, Stourhead Lodge, Weathercock Lane
George Wonham, 50 Station Road

Commercial. Early closing day, Wednesday.
Arthur J. Anderson, photographer, 37 Station Road TN 3211
E. J. & R. S. Ashby, house agents, 3 Station Road TN 3227
Frederick Ashby, baker, 18 Weathercock Lane
Aspley Guise & Woburn Sands Gas Co. Ltd. (works), Newport Road
Alice Margaret Atkinson (Mrs.), greengrocer, 3 Aspley Hill
Francis Charles Atkinson, electrical engineer, 3 Aspley Hill. TN 2266
Frederick C. Baker, shopkeeper, Station Road

Mini milk bottle from Bakers Dairy
Bakers Dairy, Station Road

Barclays Bank Ltd. (branch) (open daily 10a.m. to 3p.m.; sat. 9a.m. to 12noon) (C. B. Stephens, manager), High Street (TN 2270) head office, 54 Lombard Street London E C 3
John Barton, coal merchant, 128 Station Road
Ernest Frank Bathurst, pharmaceutical chemist, 31 High Street TN 3243
Blanshard & Harrison, motor engineers, Station Road & 71 High Street TN 2253
Leslie Harold Blanshard, motor engineer, see Blanshard & Harrison
Bletchley & District Co-operative Society Ltd., butchers 51, & grocers 23, High Street TN 2155
William Henry Bliss, coal merchant, Railway station
C. S. Bryan & Co., accountants (attend fri. 10a.m. to 4p.m.) High Street
Tom Aubrey Chester, horse dealer, 27 Station Road TN 3107
Louisa Chibnall (Mrs.), upholstress, 14 Weathercock Lane
D. Clarke (William Henry Bailey, proprietor), carbolized wheat protector, 15 Bow Brickhill Road
Agnes Coleman Mary (Miss), confectioner, The Square
Sarah E. Collins (Miss), shopkeeper, 4 The Leys
Arthur Spencer Cooke, decorator, 22 Theydon Avenue
Elizabeth Mary Cooper (Miss), ladies' hairdresser, Station Road TN 2275
Doris Deeley Mary  (Mrs.), baker, 2 Aspley Hill TN 2284
Ellen Dovey (Mrs.), fancy repository, 69 High Street
Frederick W. Down (W. C. Hill, proprietor), wheat dressing works, Weathercock Lane
Dudeney & Johnston Ltd., grocers, 25 High Street TN 3233
C. Dudley & Sons, roofing tile manufacturers, Station Road TN 3232
Albert Dunkley, grocer, 33 High Street
Dunmore Riding School (Miss E. M. Archdall, principal), Bow Brickhill Road TN 2I33
Eastmans Ltd., butchers, 55 High Street TN 3138
William Henry Elliott, grocer, 67 High Street TN 2223 

Thomas William Emmerton, shopkeeper, Woburn Road   
Thomas Emms & Sons, watch & clock makers, 21 High Street
W. J. Evans & F. R. Fletcher, L. D. S. Birmingham, dental surgeons (attends mon. & wed.), 10 Station Road TN 2157
David Rheidol Evans, refreshment rooms, 63 High Street
Sarah Evans (Miss) M. R. O. S. L. R. C. P., physician & surgeon, 18 Station Road TN 3299
Arthur Blake Farmer, firewood dealers
Faulkner, Miss., S. R. N. district nurse, 17 Hardwick Place
C. Featherstonhaugh (K. W. Griggs, proprietor), waterproof covers of all descriptions; ropes, lines, twines; car hoods & side curtains, sacks &c. Station road. TN 3137
Fir Tree Hotel (Sydney Hughes, proprietor), Woburn Road TN 2127
Wallace Arthur Foll, F. S. I., F. A. I, auctioneer, estate agent, chartered surveyor & valuer (Telegrams, "Foll" Telephone No. 2209) & Bletchley TN 43
Charles Franklin Ltd., coal merchants, Station Road

The Shops, Woburn Sands

Brian Furber, M. R. C. S., L. R. C. P. physician & surgeon; medical officer & public vaccinator No.12 district North Bucks Guardians Committee, Station Road TN 3103
John Gardner, boot & shoe maker, 12 Aspley Hill
Alexander Ronald Gibb, L. D. S. R. C. S. Edinburgh, dental surgeon, 3 Aspley Hill
Frederick Grover, motor engineer, 54 Station Road TN 2153
Brian Wells Hanson, nurseryman, 12 Station Road TN 2158
Albert William Hardy, wine & spirit merchant, 3 Station Road TN 3296
Charles Hargreaves, sawing mills, Station Road TN 2134
Sydney Harrison, motor engineer, see Blanshard & Harrison
Alfred John Holmes, stationer & post office, 29 High Street TN 3101
Herbert Hooper, draper, 47 High Street
Humphries & Edwards, opticians (attend mon. & fri. 10a.m. to 6p.m.), 12 High Street
G. Hutton & Co. Ltd. builders; electrical & radio engineers (works) Hardwick Place & (office) 61 High Street. TN 3131
T. Jackson & Sons, market gardeners, 64 Station Road   
Cyrus Charles James, poultry farmer, Golf View, Ridge Way

William Henry Johnson, shopkeeper, 92 Station Road
Juniper, Mrs., chiropodist (attends every other tues.) 37 High Street

Alfred Herbert Kingham, shopkeeper, 130 Station Road
Last & Son, motor body builders, 18 Russell Street TN 3244
Leslie Leigh-Lancaster, motor coach proprietor, 3 High Street TN 2147
Lewis & Co. (A. T. & F. E. Morris, proprietors), pastrycooks, Russell Street
Freda Linnell (Mrs.) A. L. C. M. teacher of music, 106 Station Road
James McMurtrie, house furnisher, 9 High Street TN 3139
Ernest W. Marchant, solicitor & commissioner for oaths, 3 Hardwick Road TN 3297
Markwell & Son, grocers, 7 High Street TN 2019
Emily Medcalf (Mrs.), refreshment rooms, Cherry Tree, Station Road
Arthur Mogford, nurseryman, Hill Way nurseries
National Deposit (Approved) Friendly Society (S. R. Collins, secretary), 6 The Leys
Northampton Electric Light & Power Company Ltd., Spring Grove
Alwyn Francis Pacey painter & decorator, 24 Chapel Street
Arthur Walter Parker, clerk to the Parish Council, 51 Theydon Avenue
Horace Bernard Partridge, baker, The Square, TN 2273
Herbert Payne, blacksmith, Station Road
Fred Pikesley, motor engineer, 17 High Street TN 2252
Pleasant & Summerford, drapers, 39 High Street
George W. Pleasant, outfitter, 41 High Street
George E. Popple, ironmonger, 75 High Street
John William Pratt, butcher, Aspley Hill
William H. Preston, newsagent, 19 High Street
J. Rice & Son, motor engineers, 6 Hardwick Road TN3213

Alice Richardson (Mrs.), shopkeeper, The Square
Marie Audrey Roberts (Miss), drugstore, The Square
William Thomas Shortland, boot maker, 43 & 45 High Street
Elizabeth Skinner (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 15 The Leys
W. H. Smith & Son Ltd., newsagents. 57 High Street TN 3291
Edgar G. Smith, funeral furnisher, 19 Hardwick Place TN 2112
Joseph Francis Smith, plumber, gas & hot water fitter &c. Russell Street
Joseph William Smith, house furnisher, 5 High Street TN 2280
Edgar Charles Squires, tailor, 56 Station Road
Station Hotel (Frederick Hinde), Station Road TN 3136
F. W. Summerford & Sons, builders, 41a, High Street TN 3231
Christine Summerford (Miss), draper, see Pleasant & Summerford
Swan Hotel (Richard Summers, proprietor) High Street TN 3204
Aubrey Reginald Tansley, motor garage, 82 Station Road TN 2282
George Tansley, (Miss T. G. Tansley, proprietress), glass & china dealer, 27 High Street

Arthur Tanton, confectioner, 65 High Street
Thomas Tompkins, corn merchant, Railway station
Charles Wagstaff, footwear specialist, 59 High Street
Frederick Ward, farmer, Woodleys Farm, Bow Brickhill Road
Weathercock Inn, (Edwin Martin), Station Road
E. & G. Wesley, gents' hairdressers 35, & ladies' 37, High Street TN 2277
Westminster Bank Ltd. (branch) (open daily 10a.m. to 3p.m.; sat. 9 to 12a.m.) (F.J. Perrin, manager), 49 High Street  (T N 2138); head office, 41 Lothbury, London E C 2
Annie Elizabeth Whitbread (Mrs.), tobacconist, 98 Station Road
White Brothers, greengrocers, 53 High Street TN 3122
Thomas Henry White, insurance agent, 2 The Leys
Charles S. Whitmee & Son, greengrocers, 15 Wood Street
Emily Elizabeth Whitmee (Mrs.), music teacher, 15 Wood Street
George Henry Whittleton, grocer, 33 Aspley Hill
Charles Willmott, golf professional, 28 Wood Street
Edward J. Wilsher tailor, 5a Station Road
Woburn Sands Allotment Society Ltd. (Harry Pakes, secretary), 26 Theydon Avenue
Woburn Sands Bowling Club (H. C. Wyeth, secretary)
Woburn Sands Institute (Arthur Walter Parker, clerk)
Woburn Sands Permanent Benefit Building Society (E. G. Taylor, secretary), 49 High Street
Woburn Sands Social Club Ltd. (W. Heard, secretary)
Woburn Sands (Swan Hotel) Bowling Club (A. E. Tomlin, secretary), Swan Hotel, High Street
Lily Marjory Wodhams (Miss), L. L. G. M. teacher of music, 32 Station Road
E. Wooding & Sons, fishmongers, 73 High Street TN 2168
Arthur Leonard Yost, dairyman, 26 Aspley Hill