Kellys Directory for Aspley Heath 1940
Aspley Heath is a civil parish, formed by Local Government Board Order 13,338, dated 24 June, 1883. By Order 18,187, dated March 25, 1885, part of Wavendon, in Bucks, was added to it. The parish is in the Mid division of the county, Woburn petty sessional division, Bletchley and Leighton Buzzard county court district and Ampthill rural district. It forms part of the Woburn Sands ecclesiastical parish. The church of St. Michael, erected in 1868, is an edifice in the French Gothic style, and originally consisted of nave of five bays and a small circular western bell turret: in 1889 the chancel was added and transept and organ chambers and vestries built on the north side: by the addition of a screen the north transept was converted in 1920 into a memorial chapel, where there is a brass to those who fell in the Great War 1914-18: the oak pulpit with stone base was presented by Mr. and Mrs. Stuart in memory of four of their children, and an oak lectern by Miss F. A. Stuart in memory of Mrs. Nicholson: the stained east window was erected in 1889 as a memorial to Mr. W. H. Denison, for 21 years churchwarden, and there is another memorial window to Maud F. Stuart: the reredos was erected in 1896 as a memorial to Misses C. and E. Pain: the church affords 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £351 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St. Albans, and held since 1913 by the Rev. John Shelton, of Lichfield Theological College, who resides at Woburn Sands (Bucks). The Duke of Bedford K. G., K. B. E. is the principal landowner. Electricity is available. Water is supplied by the Aspley Guise, Aspley Heath and Woburn Sands Drainage and Water Supply. The area is 600 acres; the population in 1931 was 499.
Letters through Woburn Sands, Bletchlev (Bucks).
Private Residents (For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Hill, Miss, 60 Church Road
Elizabeth Linger (Mrs.), grocer & carrier, 9 Church Road, Woburn Sands 3177