YARDLEY GOBION PAPER MILL

Yardley Mill powered by the river Tove, was at the northern extremity of Potterspury parish, almost into Grafton Regis. It was certainly in existence as early as 1252 when it would have been a corn mill. By 1736 it had become a paper mill and continued to be so until the mid 1880s (in the 1851 census there was a papermaker living there but by 1861 it was occupied by agricultural workers.) By 1875 there was only one cottage remaining, this was let to the Guardians of the Potterspury Union workhouse situated in Yardley Gobion, it was quite likely to have been used as an isolation ward as it was well away from any other habitation.

Information gained from 'Potterspury', A History of the County of Northampton: Volume 5: The Hundred of Cleley (2002) Click here to enter the site and find out more, once on the site click on Yardley Mill.