Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Old School

The original old school building, which is now "The Old School House", incorporated the headmasterís house and was built in 1872. The first headmaster was Frank Collett.

Frank Collett
Frank Collett,
Headmaster of
Sherington School

This building was condemned in 1952 and closed immediately.

The school was condemned because of the insecurity of the large south facing windows, which were in immediate danger of falling outwards or inwards.

As an emergency measure, the school classes were held in the schoolroom of the Methodist Chapel. As it proved, this turned into a long term solution, with the senior pupils being bussed to share Emberton school for 18 months or more.

Charles Stephens was the headmaster at the time of this upheaval, having taken headship at the school in c1950.

 

The following text is a transcription of Sherington School log book.

Jan.5th 1895, The newly formed Parish Council had their first meeting in the School house and immediately queried why they should pay the annual rent of ten shillings in advance. It turned out that the bill was presented later, so that some rent was paid in advance and some in arrears.

1896, Frank Collett, head teacher, was also elected Chairman of the Parish Council. Elected after he had sent a letter to the PC complaining of some matters.

Old School

1903, The new head teacher had his salary of £117-10s-0d reviewed by the board of governors, but it was not changed. Miss B. Gardener was school secretary at this time. 40 bibles at 10d (2 Ĺ p) were purchased together with 48 hymn books at 4d (1Ĺ p)

1905, The school managers' fund (bank balance) stood at £24-7s-0d.

1911, A new rule was introduced, requiring teachers to be in school by 8.45 am.

1916, Mr. Powell, headmaster, retired due to ill-health and a Mr. Garrett was appointed in his place. There were 55 pupils at the school at this time and 2 teachers.

1921, The whole school was re-painted at a cost of £25-0-0.

1923, The head master resigned.

1927, Mr. Kitchen was appointed as the new head master.

1933, In July this year there was a severe outbreak of measles, so the Summer holidays were brought forward into July, so that the school could be closed, without any loss of lessons.

1935, George Fleet, local dairyman, won the contract to supply milk to the school children and staff.

1937, The school, until then having pail toilets, was converted to running water and WC type toilets.

1943, A total of 54 pupils were attending, with still just 2 teachers. It being wartime and England having a national shortage of teachers, it was not justifiable to have another teacher.

1944, Approval was given by the Rev. G. Gordon for the school to own a wireless set.

1946, At a time of great educational upheaval, the school was converted to a combined infant / junior school, the seniors being transferred to Newport Pagnell. Also the Parish Council had left the school room in an untidy condition and were charged an extra 1s - 6d to pay for the room to be tidied.

1946, School meals were now being provided, in a converted store room, for 5d (2p) a day, or 2/- (10p) per week.

1947, In this year the threat of closure loomed over Sherington School, by order of the Education Authority.

1949, This year saw the appeal to keep the school open for 35 pupils, in the 5 to 11 year age bracket.

1952, Again the threat of closure, using the threat of neglected buildings as the reason. It was also this year that saw the old buildings condemned and the pupils dispersed: the younger children into the schoolroom of the Methodist Chapel, and the older pupils bussed out of the village, to share Emberton school.

1953, Moves were being made to build a new school adjacent to the condemned building.

1954, The Sherington pupils were still at Emberton, and the Sherington school managers contributed 5/- (25p) towards the Emberton pupils' Christmas party.

1955, The estimated cost of the new Sherington school was £7,500 - £10,000. Also, Mr. Charles Stephens was asked to take over headship, he was at that time headmaster of a Wolverton school.

New School

1956, The old school and headmasterís house was sold for £700. The final estimate for the new school was £11,537. And on Nov 6th 1956 the foundations for the new school were laid in School Lane. There were now 50 pupils on the school register.

1958, The new school was finally opened by Col. F.W.Watson, CB, MC, DL, JP (Buckinghamshire Education Committee, North Bucks Divisional Executive) at 2.30pm on Thursday 8th May 1958. The Head master was Mr.C.H.Stephens and head teacher Mrs.J.Burgess. The school was one of the first post-war, new style buildings and was used as a show building by the education authorities in the 1960s for many visiting dignitaries.

N.A.

Back to the Village School

Back to SCHOOL LANE - Back to VILLAGE PLACES


 

Home Page - Start the Village Tour - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 5 January 2008