Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Kelly's Directory 1883

Kelly's Directory of Buckinghamshire, 1883

SHERINGTON, in Domesday "Seritone" is a parish and village on the road from Newport Pagnell to Olney, 3 miles south from the latter, 2 north from the former, 11 west from Bedford, in the hundred, union and county court district of Newport Pagnell, archdeaconry of Buckingham, rural deanery of Newport Pagnell and diocese of Oxford. The river Ouse separates the parish from Lathbury and Newport Pagnell and is crossed by a bridge of five arches. The church of St. Laud the Martyr (whose festival is celebrated on September the 21st) is an edifice chiefly in the Decorated style, seated on an eminence: it consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch with parvise, and a central tower with small spire; the nave arcades have circular pillars on the north and octagonal on the south side, in both cases with moulded capitals; the tower is good Perpendicular, and there is a fine west window of five lights of the same date; the east window is Decorated, others are Perpendicular; there is in the church a shield of white metal with the arms of Catesby, being all that remains of a brass to a civilian and his wife, children, and a marginal inscription, c. 1510; other brasses are recorded to Robert Yonge and Ada his wife, 1517; and Richard Mareot J.P. 1491 : it was restored in 1870 at a cost of 1,200, mainly defrayed by the rector. The register dates from the year 1698. The living is a rectory, yearly value 430 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford and held since 1849 by the Rev. Alexander King M.A. of Oriel College, Oxford. Here are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels. A reading society for the working classes is maintained in the village. Fuller's charity of 5 yearly is chiefly distributed to the poor, 1 15s. being deducted for sermons. Mrs. Umney is lady of the manor and principal landowner. The Mercers' Company of the City of London also have land here. The soil is various; subsoil, limestone and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and roots. The area is 1,780 acres; rateable value, 3,213 ; the population in 1881 was 604.

Parish Clerk, William Joyce

POST OFFlCE. - Miss Annie Brown, receiver. Letters arrive from Newport Pagnell at 7 a.m. & 1 p.m.; dispatched at 9.10 a.m. & 7.35 p.m.; sundays, box closed at 10 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Newport Pagnell.

School, built in 1872, at a cost of 900; Charles Bishop, master; Mrs. Martha Jane Bishop, mistress.

French George Taylor
Holton Mrs
King Rev. Alexander M.A. [rector]
Makeham William
Storer George
Taylor W. W. Manor house

COMMERCIAL
Aldridge William, White Hart
AIger Robert Green, Swan
Battam & Coles, maltsters
Boone Frederick, shopkeeper
Borton Thomas, farmer
Burchell Frederick John, baker
Emerson Robert, boot maker
Gardner Henry, farmer
Groom William, blacksmith
Harding Daniel, farmer
Hine James, beer retailer
Jefferson Joseph, farmer
Lucas Ezekiah, farmer
Oldham Owen, baker
Oliver Susan (Mrs), butcher & grocer
Payne Thomas, farmer & butcher
Proctor James, carpenter
Rose Abraham, tailor
Rose Henry George, carpenter, builder, contractor & undertaker
Rose John, wheelwright
Rush Samuel, hurdle maker
Simco George, matting maker
Umney Edwin, grazier
Umney Thomas, matting maker
White William, Old Castle
Wilmer William Goodwin, farmer

 

Back to PEOPLE - Back to DIRECTORIES - Kelly 1877 - Kelly 1887

 

Home Page - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 27 May 2007