Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Kelly's Directory 1903

Kelly's Directory of Buckinghamshire, 1903

SHERINGTON, in Domesday "Seritone," is a parish and village on the road from Newport Pagnell to Olney and separated from Lathbury and Newport Pagnell by the river Ouse which is crossed by a bridge of five arches, 2 miles north from Newport Pagnell station on the Wolverton and Newport Pagnell branch of the London and North Western railway and 3 south from Olney station on the Bedford and Northampton branch of the Midland railway and 11 west from Bedford, in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport Pagnell, archdeaconry of Buckingham, rural deanery of Newport Pagnell and diocese of Oxford. The church of St. Laud the Martyr, seated on an eminence, is an edifice of stone chiefly in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, south porch with parvise, and & central tower containing 5 bells and a clock: the nave arcades have circular pillars on the north and octagonal on the south side, in both cases with moulded capitals; the tower is good Perpendicular, and there is a fine west window of five lights of the same date; the east window is Decorated, others are Perpendicular; in the church is & shield of white metal with the arms of Catesby, being all that remains of a brass to a. civilian and his wife and children, with a marginal inscription, c. 1510; other brasses are recorded to Robert Yonge and Ada his wife, 1517; and to Richard Mareot, 1491: the church was restored in 1870 at a cost of 1,200, and affords 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1698. The living is a rectory, net income 270, with residence and 17 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford, and held since 1898 by the Rev. Richard Freeborn Mallam M.A. of Christ Church, Oxford. Here is a Congregational Chapel seating 200 and a Wesleyan chapel. Fuller's charity of 5 yearly is distributed as follows, viz.: 1 for a sermon; 5s. each to the churchwardens and 26 half-crowns to the poor. George Alfred U. Nelson esq. is lord of the manor; and Roger William Giffard Tyringham esq. of Trevethoe, Lelant, Cornwall, is the principal landowner. The Mercers' Company of the City of London also have land here. The soil is various; subsoil, limestone and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and roots. The area is 1,799 acres of land and 6 of water; assessable value, 1,762; the population in 1901 was 548.

Parish Clerk, Joel Attwood

Post Office. - Miss Ellen J. Feasey, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Newport Pagnell at 6 a.m. & 12 p.m.; dispatched at 9.25 a.m. & 7.10 p.m.; sundays, box closed at 1l.40 a.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order & teIegraph office is at NewportPagnell, 2 miles distant.

Elementary Sohool, built in 1872, at a cost of 900, for 105 children; average attendance about 75; William Powell, master; Miss Hillyard, infants' mistress.

Eldridge Mrs
Estcourt Sydney, Sherington lodge
Mallsm Rev. Rchd. Freeborn M.A. Rectry
Rogers Mrs
Storer Mrs
Tompkins Mrs. Sherington bridge
Wilmer Mrs. Ash cottage

COMMERCIAL
Boone Frederick, shopkeeper
Emerson Robert, boot maker
Feasey David. corn merchant & poor rate collector
Field Frederick John, maltster & farmer
Field John, grazier
Fleet George, horse dealer & butcher
Gardner Henry (exors. of), farmers
Graves William J. farmer, Water lane
Groom William, blacksmith
Harding Daniel, farmer
Hickson WilIiam Thos. butcher & grocer
Hine George James, wheelwright & coach builder
Jefferson EIiza (Mrs.), farmer
Joyce Sarah (Mrs.), Crown & Castle P.H. & grazier
Lawes Edward, White Hart P.H
Line Edward Charles, carpenter
Line Frederick, beer retailer
Looms William, shoe maker
Lucas Isaiah, farmer
Mynard WaIter, fanner, Yew Tree farm
Oldham & Co. non-intoxicating ale brewers
Oldham Owen, baker
Powell WaIter, Swan P.H.
Rose George, matting maker
Rose Henry George, carpenter & builder
Rush Samuel, carpenter & hurdle maker
Simcoe John H. farmer, Powells farm

 

Back to PEOPLE - Back to DIRECTORIES - Kelly 1899 - Kelly 1907

 

Home Page - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 27 May 2007