Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Kelly's Directory 1907

Kelly's Directory of Buckinghamshire, 1907

SHERINGTON, in Domesday "Seritone," is a parish and village on the road from Newport Pagnell to Olney and separated from Lathbury and Newport Pagnell by the river Onse which is crossed by a bridge of five arches, 2 miles north from Newport Pagnell station on the Wolverton and .Newport Pagnell branch of the London and North Western railway and 3 south from Olney station on the Bedford and Northampton branch of the Midland railway and11 west from Bedford, in the Northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport Pagnell, arch deaconry of Buckingham, rural deanery of Newport Pagnell and diocese of Oxford. The church of St. Laud the Martyr, seated on an eminence, is an edifice of stone, chiefly in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch with parvise, and a central tower containing 5 bells and a clock: the nave arcades have circular pilIars on the north and octagonal on the south side, in both cases with moulded capitals; the tower is good Perpendicular, and there is a fine west Window of five lights of the same date; the east window is Decorated, other chancel windows are Perpendicular; in the north-east buttress of the tower is a Decorated window pierced through and looking towards the altar; on the handle of the porch door are the arms of Dr. William Barrow, rector 1406, and afterwards bishop of Bangor and Carlisle; the church was restored in 1870 at a cost of 1,200, and affords 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1698. The living is a rectory, net income 300, with residence and 17 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford, and held since 1903 by the Rev. John Mease Geden BA. of London University. Here is a Congregational chapel seating 200 and a Wesleyan chapel. Fuller's charity of 5 yearly is distributed as follows, viz.: 1 for a sermon; 5s. each to the churchwardens and 26 half-crowns to the poor. The trustees of the late George Alfred U. Nelson esq. are lords of the manor; and Roger William Giffard Tyringham esq. of Trevethoe, Lelant, Cornwall, is the principal landowner. The Mercers' Company of the City of London also have land here. The soil is various; subsoil, limestone and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and roots. The area is 1,799 acres of land and 6 of water; assessable value, 1,775; the population in 1901 was 548.

Parish Clerk, Joel Attwood

Post Office. - Miss Ellen L. Feasey, sub-postmistress Letters arrive from Newport Pagnell at 6.25 a.m. &. 12.10 p.m.; dispatched at. 9.45 a.m & 7.15 p.m.; sundays, box closed at 11.40 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Newport Pagnell, 2 miles distant.

Elementary School, built in 1872, at a. cost of 900, for 105 children; average attendance about 85; William Powell, master; Miss Hillyard, infants' mistress.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Allfrey Major Frank, The Laurels
Cook-Yarborough Mrs. Sherington lo
Geden Rev. John Mease B.A. (rector), Rectory
Hunt William Herbert (Congregational Evangelist)
Peacock Miss
Rogers Mrs
Russell Joseph Rushforth W. G. Sherington bridge
Taylor Mrs. Manor house
Terry Chrstr. Wm. Sherington bridge

COMMERCIAL.
Boone Frederick, shopkeeper
Burgess Thos. farmer, Yew Tree frm
Emerson Robert, boot maker
Feasey David, corn merchant & poor rate collector
Field Fredk. John, rnaltster & farmer
Field John, grazier
Fisher Harry, school attendance officer, Ash cottage
Fleet George, horse dealer & butcher
Gardner Henry (exors. of). farmers
Graves William.J. farmer, Water la
Groom WilIiam. blacksmith
Harding Daniel (Mrs.), farmer
Hickson Wm. Thos. butcher &grocer
Hine George James, wheelwright & coach builder
Jefferson Eliza (Mrs.), farmer, Mercer's farm
Joyce Sarah (Mrs.), Crown & Castle P.H. & grazier
Lawes Edward, White Hart P.H.
Line Frederick, beer retailer
Looms Ann (Mrs.), grazier
Lucas Isaiah, farmer
Markie Harriet (Mrs.), Swan P.H
Norman Joseph, market gardener
Oldham & Co. mineral waler manfrs
Petts Joseph, market gardener
Rose Henry George, carpenter, builder, contractor, undertaker, timber merchant & steam saw mill
Rush Saml. carpenter & hurdle mur
Simcoe John H. farmer. Gowells farm

 

Back to PEOPLE - Back to DIRECTORIES - Kelly 1903 - Kelly 1911

 

Home Page - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 27 May 2007