Sherington Historical Society - Home Page

Kelly's Directory 1939

Kelly's Directory of Buckinghamshire, 1939

SHERINGTON, in Domesday "Serintone", is a parish and village on the road from Newport Pagnell to Olney and separated from Lathbury and Newport Pagnell by the River Ouse which is crossed by a bridge of five arches, 2 miles north from Newport Pagnell station on the Wolverton and Newport Pagnell branch of the London Midland and Scottish Railway, 4 miles south from Olney station on the Bedford and Northampton branch of the same railway and 11 west from Bedford; it is in the Buckingham division of the county, county court district of Bletchley and Leighton Buzzard, hundred, petty sessional division, rural district and rural deanery of Newport, archdeaconry of Buckingham and diocese of Oxford. Gas and electricity are available. Water is supplied by the Newport Pagnell Rural District Council. The church of St. Laud the Martyr, seated on an eminence, is an edifice of stone, chiefly in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch with parvise, and a central tower containing 5 bells and clock: the nave arcades, one Early Decorated and the other of a later period, have circular pillars on the north and octagonal on the south side, in both cases with moulded capitals: the tower walls are of the 12th century, with arches into the chancel and nave of the 13th century: the large west window is chiefly of the 15th century: the early 15th century font is noteworthy: in the north-west buttress of the tower is a Decorated window pierced through and looking towards the altar: there is a stone tablet in memory of 11 men of this parish who lost their lives in the Great War, 1914-18: on the handle of the porch door are the arms of Dr. William Barrow, rector 1406, and afterwards Bishop of Bangor and Carlisle: the church was restored in 1870 at a cost of 1,200, and affords 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1698. The living is a rectory, net income 330, with residence and 17 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford and held since 1912 by the Rev. Henry Arthur Gilbert Blomefield M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and hon. C.F. There is a Congregational chapel, founded in 1810 and seating 200, and a Methodist chapel. Fuller's charity of 5 yearly is distributed as follows, viz: 1 for a sermon, 5s, each to the churchwardens and 26 half-crowns to the poor. Mrs. Owen Williams is the principal landowner. The soil is various; subsoil, limestone and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and roots. The area is 1,799 acres of land and 6 of water; population in 1931, 462.

Post Office. Letters through Bletchley. Newport Pagnell nearest M.O. & T. office.

Police Station

Conveyance. - Omnibuses running between Bedford & Newport Pagnell pass through several times daily.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
(For T.N.'s see general list of Private Residents at end of book)
Allfrey Mrs
Blomefield Rev. Henry Arthur Gilbert M.A., hon. C.F. (rector), Rectory
Byam-Grounds Lt.-Col. N.B.C., Sherington lodge
Clutton Lt.-Col. John, The Small house
Fraser Robert Brown, Sherington pl
Smith Maj. Alfred, Sherington Bridge house
Williams Thomas Lovatt, Sherington Bridge lodge

COMMERCIAL
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Adkins Bros. farmers, Water la
Burgess Jn. Thos. jun. haulage contrctr Newport Pagnell 163
Clare Clifford Geo. shopkpr. High st
Cook Jn. Wm. farmer, Mercers farm, Newport Pagnell 99
Crown & Castle P.H. (Wm. Thos. Hooton)
Feasey Ellen L. (Miss) corn dlr & post office
*Field Fredk. Jn. farmer, Church frm
Fleet Ernest, farmer, Newport Pagnell 61X2
*Gardner Dudley, farmer, Water Lane farm
Haynes & Co, motor engnrs. & hauliers. T.N. Newport Pagnell 73
Hill Geo. Cyril, beekeeper, High St.
Hine Geo. Jas. wheelwright
Lane Jsph. Chas. farmer, Home frm
Line Jn. & Sons, timber mers
Middleweek Philip Long, farmer, Yew Tree farm
Peach & Stone (C.C. Peach, propr.), nurserymen
*Rogers Lewis Jn. farmer, Church End farm
Smith Chas. Hy. wood dlr
Swan Inn (Jn. Thirsk Sharman Nobbs)
West Geo. Edwin, dairyman, High st
West Mabel (Mrs.), shopkpr. High st
White Hart P.H. (Alfrd. Jn. Simmons)

 

Back to PEOPLE - Back to DIRECTORIES - Kelly 1935

 

Home Page - Email Us - Contacts
Latest Revision: 27 May 2007