31 March 2013 2013/4 Programme published.
20 January 2013 Copies of the orginal pages of the Parliamentary Bill and Act of Parliament for the 1796 Enclosure and the 1823 Act of Parliament relating to the Turnpikes have been added.Seven archive photos of Yew Tree Farm have been added. A photo of Far Farm has been added to the Farms Overview page
18 January 2013 December 2012 Newsletter published.
7 January 2013 Maps of the North West, South West and South East fields have been added to the 1910 Land Survey. The North East Fields map has been enhanced for consistency. The links to the Chicheley pages in the Domesday Valuation Book have been corrected to point to the Chichelay pages rather than the Sherington ones.
31 December 2012 The Philimore transcriptions of the Marriages in Volumes 1, 2 and 3 of the St Laud's Parish Registers have now been checked against the orginal pages. The extended and updated versions of the transcriptions of these three volumes are now available, as is a transcription of the marriages in the earlier Bishop's Transcripts. The Bishop's Transcript for 1628, wrongly attributed to 1621, has been corrected and the information for that year added to the Baptism and Burial transcriptions. A number of minor amendments have also been made to the Parish Register pages.
20 December 2012 Transcriptions of the Banns 1823-1899 in the St Laud's Parish Registers (Vol 11) are now available.
16 November 2012 A new photo of Norman Arnold has been included in his biography.
10 November 2012 A new transcription of the Burials 1813-1852 in the St Laud's Parish Registers (Vol 6) is now available. This is based on the new digital copies and replaces the previous alphabetical transcription which contained various errors and omissions.
9 November 2012 A transcription of the Burials 1853-1912 in the St Laud's Parish Registers (Vol 10) is now available.
27 October 2012 A transcription of the Baptisms 1888-1913 in the St Laud's Parish Registers (Vol 8) is now available.
21 October 2012 The 1841 Census has been extended to include a complete listing of everyone, in the same format as for other years, replacing the previous summary of just the surnames.
18 October 2012 Photo of completed chair (Rush work demonstration) added to SHS Open Day 2012 Photos.
7 October 2012 SHS Open Day 2012 Photos.
28 September 2012 Major new section: St Laud's Parish Registers - Complete set of photos of every page in the 11 registers up to 1912, plus the Bishop's Transcripts for years not covered by the Registers.
28 September 2012 September 2012 Newsletter published.
29 June 2012 Scarecrow Competition 2012 Results and Photos published.
16 June 2012 June 2012 Newsletter published.
12 February 2012 More information added: details of a further 198 Sherington people with Wills, four Sherington Seamen, Sherington Prisoners at Aylesbury Gaol between 1859 to 1878 and Bryant's 1824 map of Buckinghamshire.
29 January 2012 Transcriptions of the Field Books from the 1910 Land Survey are now available.
23 January 2012 Typical example of the original 1911 Census Form added.
22 January 2012 1911 Census transcription added.
7 January 2012 Major new section: 1910 Land Valuation Survey - lists of both owners and occupiers and their addresses, plus Ordnance Survey maps showing where people lived
1918 Electoral Register
1831 Militia Ballot - all men aged 18 to 45 liable to be conscripted into the Militia
29 December 2011 Google Maps upgraded from V2 to V3 and now includes Streetview. Various archive photo galleries have been upgraded to 'Lightbox' style - the full size photos now appear on top of the thumbnail page on a darkened background, instead of on separate pages.
19 December 2011 Then and Now photos added: Village Pump, Church End cyclists and Park Road cyclists. Also new Cow House photo. Four photos of listed buildings added: Water Lane Farm barn, 8 The Knoll, Arbour House (8 Church Road) and 22/24 Crofts End.. The Swan updated to include the recent closure.
16 October 2011 SHS Open Day 2011 Video by Howard Dalton has been added.
15 October 2011 Biography of Richard Dalton added.
4 October 2011 SHS Open Day 2011 Photos.
13 September 2011 The date of Dr John Cheyne's death given on the Cheyne Monument page in the St Laud's Tour has been corrected. It is 1836, not 1856.
4 September 2011 Details of SHS Open Day 2011.
31 July 2011 Photos of SHS at Sherington Village Fete on Saturday 2 July 2011.
7 February 2011 Error with the wrong pop-up box appearing on the Google Map has been corrected.
28 September 2010 2010 Open Day Photos added. Also details of Mark Vale's talk on Dunkirk 1940-2010 on 12 October and the re-issued Murder booklet.
5 September 2010 2010 Open Day Poster added
8 August 2010 2010 SHS Scarecrow Competition results and photos.
30 May 2010 June 2010 Newsletter published.
7 March 2010 March 2010 Newsletter published.
20 January 2010 Ten photos of a Fox Hunt (a meet of the Oakley Hounds on the Knoll), the programme for the 1911 Coronation celebrations, a second photo of the tree-planting to celebrate the 1937 Coronation, 4 additional archive photos of St Lauds, 7 additional archive photos from the Old School, 4 additional archive photos of Traction Engines/Roadmenders, 2 archive photos of the Sherington Mound construction, an archive photo of the Village Pump, 2 archive photos of the 1718-1719 Parish Register, an extra archive photo of Church Road, and a miscellaneous Archive Photos page with 13 photos, 4 newspaper cuttings and the 1847 church allotment rules.
7 January 2010 7 photos of the Water Lane flooding, 2 photos of Newport Road, 3 photos of Gun Lane, 6 photos of Lines Sawmill, 7 better quality copies of the Congregational Chapel photos, 2 photos of High Street South, 5 photos of the High Street North, 5 photos of Park Road plus 2 better quality replacements, better quality photo of Baker's Farm, photo of White Hart regulars, 2 photos of Royal Oak deeds. Names of the Home Guard added. Notes on the Newport Pagnell to Olney tramway. Also 2 photos of the SHS 2009 January Jolly.
31 December 2009 Biographical notes for 15 of the artists exhbited at the 2007 Open Day have been added, along with the poster advertising the event. More photos of the May Day celbrations and Sherington Feasts have also been added.
15 December 2009 December 2009 Newsletter published.
3 October 2008 - 26 photos of the Open Day held on 3rd October 2009 in the Village Hall - theme 'What Did You Do In The War, Sherington?'.
5 September 2009 September 2009 Newsletter published.
16 August 2009 Correction: painting by Barbara Hilliam has now been attributed correctly.
20 July 2009 New: Interactive Google map showing 87 local locations superimposed on the satellite photo, with links to further information.
13 July 2009 2009 SHS Scarecrow Competition results and photos.
6 June 2009 June 2009 Newsletter published.
2 May 2009 Seven of the historical maps are now available for viewing in Google Earth. The maps are overlaid on the satellite photos and illustrate the evolution of the village since c1300.
11 April 2009 2009/10 Programme published.
10 January 2009 December 2008 Newsletter published.
27 September 2008 - 16 photos of the Open Day held on 27th September 2008 in the Village Hall - theme 'Pumps & Praises'.
26 September 2008 September 2008 Newsletter published.
3 September 2008 June 2008 Minutes published.
31 August 2008 Eighteen of the tables from A C Chibnall's book: "Fiefs and Fields of a Buckinghamshire Village", containing various lists of names, have been added.
- Principal holders of land: 1312, 1400, 1460, 1580, 1650, 1700, 1750, 1797, 1862/1962
- Smallholders 1220 to 1240
- Lay Subsidy return 1332
- Working population 1345/1400/1460/1520
- Muster Survey 1522
- Subsidy Roll 1599
- Owners of cottages paying quit-rents 1708/1796
5 August 2008 AC Chibnall's reconstructed maps of how Sherington may have looked in 1300 and in 1580 are now available. These are the large fold-out maps from his book. In addition to the digitally enhanced originals, there are larger scale versions of the NW, NE, SW and SE areas. There are also tables giving the distribution of the land in 1580 in both the Open Fields and in the Demesne area.
21 July 2008 2008 SHS Scarecrow Competition results and photos.
12 July 2008 May 2008 Minutes published.
7 July 2008 The Sherington entry in Volume 4 of the Universal British Directory 1790 has been added, together with a page on the King's Head pub which it mentions. Copies of the actual directory pages have been added to the Musson and Craven 1853 Directory page. An introduction to 14 Farms in Sherington has also been added. The Sherington entry in The Parish Magazine's February 1912 issue is available.
3 June 2008 April 2008 Minutes published.
29 March 2008 March 2008 Newsletter published.
23 March 2008 Biography of Paul Mann by his daughter, Julia. Photo of Lionel Horsnell painting Laundry Cottage at Heydon, Norfolk, plus 2 paintings, courtesy of Ron Clark. Cast details for the Pantomime.
5 March 2008 New minutes: 2007 AGM - 13 March 2007.
2 March 2008 New minutes: 27 February 2008.
17 February 2008 New pages: Old Rectory, Sherington Place, Pantomime, VE Day Party 1945. Nine new photos of the 1953 Coronation Celebrations, three photos of the 1982 Seniors' Sandringham trip, three extra Feast pictures. Several new archive photos: GJ Hines, Church End, St Laud's, Park Road (1), Park Road (2), Park Road (3), Old Rectory, Hickson's, Croft End, Sherington Bridge and Shenanigans Poster. Also several of the existing archive photos have been replaced by larger or better quality copies.
2 February 2008 Minutes of several committee meetings now available: 28 August 2007, 30 October 2007, 27 November2007 and 29 January 2008. Also photos of the SHS Annual Dinner at the White Hart on 22 January 2008.
27 January 2008 Several new pages added:
- Swan Inn
- Friends Meeting House (Quakers)
- Sports Pavilion
- Early church history 1140-71 - gift of the church by William de Sherington to Tickford Priory
- St Laud's 1851 Religous Census return
Also, various minor corrections.
6 January 2008 Several new pages added:
- Grade1 and 2 Listed Buildings
- Alfred Cocks's Church Bells of Bucks 1897
- Congregational Chapel
- Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
- ROC Monitoring Post
- 1913 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments
- James Sheahan's History and Topography of Bucks 1861
- Oliver Ratcliff's History and Antiquities of the Newport Pagnell Hundreds 1900
31 December 2007 New pages on the Bronze Age bowl barrows and Neolithic axe, the Iron Age Settlement near the church, the Roman Road and associated archaeological finds. Also, additions and corrections to the 1798 Posse Comitatus listing.
22 October 2007 - The 25 September 2007 Committee Meeting Minutes (No 86) are now available.
21 October 2007 - The 31 July 2007 Committee Meeting Minutes (No 84) are now available.
30 September 2007 - 26 photos of the Open Day held on 29th September 2007 in the Village Hall - theme 'Sherington Shenanigans'. Also added: an article by Christine Bearman on the beginnings of Sherington Playgroup which is currently celebrating its 35th anniversary.
23 August 2007 - Another scarecrow photo added.
7 August 2007 - The August Newsletter is now available. Photo of the "Angel of the South" scarecrow added to the Scarecrow Competition page. Also added: Gillian Nursaw-Smith's Hints and Tips on seeking Family History information.
4 August 2007 - The four AVI files have been replaced by MP4 files which are about 7 times smaller, so the download is much faster.
3 August 2007 - Four short video clips of the School's Jubilee Fun Day held on 30 June 2007 have been added.
16 June 2007 - The 27 November 2006 Committee Meeting Minutes (No 76) are now available.
15 June 2007 - Several Committee Meeting Minutes (5th June 2006 (No 71), 26th June 2006 (No 72), 4th September 2006 (No 73), 25th September 2006 (No 74), 30th October 2006 (No 75) and 24th April 2007 (No 81)) are now available.
6 June 2007 - The 22nd May 2007 Committee Meeting Minutes (No 82) are available.
27 May 2007 - Several features have been added:
- Transcription of St Laud's Marriages 1698-1812, taken from Phillimore's 1907 book (Buckingshire Vol 3).
- Details of the 'Serintone' in the Domesday Book.
- Transcriptions of the Sherington entry in a further 22 Directories between 1830 and 1939 (including Kelly's).
- Seven old 25 inch and 6 inch Ordnance Survey maps dating from 1882 to 1952
13 May 2007 - New feature on the 1796 Enclosure Map including detailed close-up maps and transcriptions of the accompanying manuscript text. The previous A-Z tables of names from the 1796 map have also been updated, corrected and extended.
14 February 2007 - Edward Elton added to the list of Rectors.
28 January 2007 - The 8th January Committee Meeting Minutes (No 77) are available.
15 January 2007 - The list of Rectors of St Laud's has been updated.
14 January 2007 - The Links page has been substantially updated to include various online historical resources.
6 January 2007 - The conversion to a non-frames site has been completed. All pages now have the full left-hand menu.
28 December 2006 - Revised left-hand navigation panel. No longer uses frames. Now based on CSS (Cascading Style Sheets), and the pages are also being converted to XHTML 1.0. Note: it will take some time to update all the pages, as there are more than 600, and in the meantime those pages not yet upgraded will appear without the left-hand panel. Where this occurs, you can use the links at the bottom of each page. Pages have been tested in Internet Explorer 6 and 7, Firefox 2.0 and Opera 9.1.
2 December 2006 - Contacts page updated.
1 October 2006 - 179 photos of the art displayed at the 2006 SHS Open Day are available online. They cover the work Sherington artists both past and present. Also a new SHS Events page with links to photos of the Society's recent events has been added to the SHS section.
30 September 2006 - Many photos of the 2006 Open Day.
23 September 2006 - September Newsletter (no. 53).
2 September 2006 - May Newsletter (no. 51).
26 July 2006 - June Newsletter (no. 52).
22 April 2006 - April Newsletter (no. 50).
26 February 2006 - February Newsletter (no. 48).
15 February 2006 - 2006 Programme has been issued.
5 January 2006 - December Newsletter (no. 46).
4 December 2005 - November Newsletter (no. 45).
5 November 2005 - October Newsletter (no. 44).
27 August 2005 - Line family wedding photo - caption update.
1 August 2005 - July Newsletter (no. 42).
30 May 2005 - The Hickson Family who ran the butchers shop at 45 High Street.
9 May 2005 - An Interactive Map has been added. It shows some of the places of historical interest in Sherington.
2 May 2005 - May Day - 2 photos from the 2005 celebrations added to the page.
27/28 March 2005 - Two brief histories of Sherington as seen through the eyes of two senior residents of the village have been added: Sherington (A Brief History), written by Philip Smith in 1981, and Parish of Sherington, written by Sidney F. Morgan in 1977.
Meeting Minutes 53, 5th AGM Minutes, Chairman's Report, February Newsletter (no. 37) and March Newsletter (no. 38) have also been issued.
20 February 2005 - The 10 January committee meeting minutes have been added.
16 February 2005 - The 7 February committee meeting minutes have been issued.
12 February 2005 - New pages on the Prisoner of War Camp, the 1780 Posse Comitatus and a summary of Sherington Businesses. More information on the Sherington Feasts. The December 2004 newsletter (No. 35) and the Minutes of the Committee Meeting 50 on 6 December have been issued. The full 2005 Programme is now available.
6 February 2005 - The January newsletter (No. 36) has been issued.
4 December 2004 - The November newsletter (No. 34) has been issued.
20 November 2004 - The Minutes of the Committee Meeting 49 on 2 November have been issued.
10 November 2004 - The Search and Site Map features had not been registering changes made to the web site since June, due to an error in the set-up. This has now been fixed. These features will now return up-to-date results.
26 October 2004 - October Newsletter - No. 33
23 October 2004 - The following additions:
- Major expansion of the Census information:
- 1871 and 1891 now include all family members, ages, occupations, places of birth
- Years 1851, 1861, 1881 and 1901 have been added with similar detail.
- 35 additional names included in the St Laud's Monumental Inscriptions lists, which are now valid up to October 2004.
- Three Kelly's Directory entries added: 1847, 1895, 1939.
- New list of 43 Sherington wills (1384-1858) which are available online in the National Archives.
- Seventeen additional archive photos in the village tour: The Knoll, Church End, School Lane, High Street South, High Street North, St Laud's and in Village Life.
- Timeline added.
- Minutes of Meeting 48 (September) have been issued.
30 September 2004 - Newsletter 32 (September) has been issued.
29 September 2004 - Addition to the Monumental Inscriptions of St Lauds: a plan of the churchyard giving a key to the grave locations. Also, a new email service for requesting a copy of the detailed incription and a photo for a particular grave has been introduced.
26 September 2004 - Newsletters 29, 30 and 31 added. Meeting minutes 44, 45, 46, 47 and AGM2 added. Corrections to Minutes 14 and 16, and to the layout of a few others. Additional monumental inscription - Line family - grave no. 63Ac.
27 June 2004 - A few minor corrections to various pages
5 June 2004 - Links on What's New Page, several extra archive photos and the following new pages:
- Search and Site Map page now operational
- Sherington People who took the Oath of Allegiance to King George in 1723/4
- Weddings in Tyringham involving Sherington people in 1576 - 1836
- Close-up view of the main part of the 1796 Enclosure Map
- Part of the List of Names on the 1796 Enclosure Map
30 May 2004 - A substantial amount of new information including:
- 20 page tour of the inside and outside of St Laud's Church
- 36 pages from Parish Council Records 1895-1977 from Barry Hollis's Book
- 5 pages of the Memories of Doris Stephens - including Yew Tree Farm, Bridge Farm, Rush Work, Rural Crafts
- Crown and Castle pub
- Transciptions of the 1841, 1871 and 1891 censuses
- 1957/8 School Newspaper (9 pages)
- 1904 Fire
- 1888 Concert
- 1953 Coronation celebrations
- 1935 Jubilee celebrations
- Many more archive photos: 12 School pre-1976, cricket team, football teams, WW2 home guard, Seniors Group, Chapel group, 1916 wedding, church choir
- First World War Roll of Honour
- Cow House, Mercer's Farm
- Additional photos in the Village Tour
- Description of the Millennium Project - Village Album of residents in 2000
- New SHS Shop - various items for sale
- 28 Society Newsletters
- 44 Society Meeting Minutes
30 May 2004 - Other changes include:
- Main menu moved to the left
- 'Archive' section split into separate 'People', 'Places', 'Events', 'Village Life' and 'Publications' sections
- Information about the Society itself is brought together in one section
- 'On-line documentation' is now the 'Records' sub-section of 'People'
- Thumbnail pictures provided for archive photos and improved navigation between them
- Many minor corrections, layout improvements, broken links fixed